fs

Friday, January 24, 2014

A Rack For Her Glue Gun Part I

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
This project began many months ago when my wife, a crafter, pinned this glue gun rack to one of her Pinterest boards. When I saw it I figured it would be easy to make and improve upon, so I re-pinned it to my Neat Things Carolyn Would Like Me To Build board.

The pin that started it the odyssey.
Fast forward a few weeks from my initially seeing it and after a particularly rough day at work I declared that I would need some time alone to unwind and headed to the shop. That’s when I set to building my version of the glue gun rack.


I decided that the the glue gun rack I built would be an experiment in sculpted design. Specifically, I wanted to juxtapose a rigid, rectilinear design on two (2) edges, while  creating a flowing, sculpted surface on the other two (2).

Starting on the rack.
I made the glue gun rack from some scraps of Walnut and Ebony I had on hand. As with any process, it began by milling the lumber flat and square. Then I did my basic layout.

Figuring out where things will go.
First, I glued the Ebony to a piece of Walnut to make a large billet. Then I used my Domino to make the mortises in all the pieces.

Dominos anyone?
With the joinery done, I marked out the basic shapes on each piece, and rough cut them on my band saw.

Rough shaping prior to assembly.
The final step before glue up was to recesses out for the glass tile the tip of the glue gun rests on. To do this, I used my small DeWalt trim router with an 1/8” spiral upcut bit and the plunge base. I routed freehand to within about 1/8” of the line and then cleaned up the edge with my chisels.

Next time, well glue up and begin shaping.

Dont forget about the +Modern Woodworkers Association Podcast. We talk woodworking with Guests from around the world of woodworking every other week. Subscribe to the RSS feed or iTunes today.

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

2 comments:

  1. Hello everybody, If you love building sheds like I do, here's a great link for you to download shed plans:

    DOWNLOAD 12,000 SHED PLANS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gain immediate access to 16,000 woodworking sketches.

    Teds Woodworking has more than 16,000 woodworking plans with STEP BY STEP instructions, photos and drafts to make all of the projects easy and simple!

    ReplyDelete