fs

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Lazy Susan finishing sealing and staining

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Im back. Time to stain the lazy susan.

First I disassembled the susan and it was just as big a pain to take it apart as it was to assemble it to begin with:


Pine is a soft wood and as such it can often absorb stains more deeply in some areas than others, with the result being a blotchy-colored surface. I use Minwax* sealers and I sealed both the top and bottom with this:



As the sealer is a golden colored liquid, it deepened the natural color of the pine. I love unstained pine and I wish I could stop here. Lovely.


But my friend wanted it stained a burgundy color. To achieve this I used Behr semi-transparent exterior stain in burgundy:


This type of stain comes in a variety of colors and since its semi transparent, some of the wood grain will be visible through the stain.

I applied this to both the top and the bottom and initially it looked like a pale lavender color and I thought OH NO this isnt burgundy! But I quickly remember that stains often change colors as they dry and this is no exception:



Both the top and the bottom are now stained and Im going to let them dry until tomorrow. Ill take another look and see if a second coat of stain is necessary. My friend emphasized a deep burgundy so additional staining might be necessary.

Now Im going downstairs to apply some poly urethane to the finial. That will take several coats to build up a smooth surface as turning the finial exposed a lot of end grain--and as we all know, end grain sucks up stains and finishes like a sponge.

More tomorrow.

VW

*Note: Im not a paid endorser for Minwax products but I do like to point out the materials I use and Minwax products generally give a good result regards of a persons level of expertise. And they are moderately priced and readily available in the US.






TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment