fs

Sunday, February 23, 2014

MIXING BROWN PAINT PAINTING HARDWARE COLOR LAYERING

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
 
 
I first showed you this big nine drawer French Provincial dresser at the beginning of the week:
http://blogspot.ca/2013/12/generosity-hard-work-and-provence.html
 
 
Painted in Provence this piece would benefit from having a dark stained top, however as I dont have
 a workshop and the outside weather was not going to allow me to strip it I had to come up with a
different plan for indoors. That plan was a distressed 4 layer paint finish.
 
 
 
I started by painting the top brown.
Annie Sloan does not have a chocolate brown paint currently so I mixed my own.
You can make brown by mixing  blue and orange, or red and green, or yellow and purple.
This is the first step to making brown but to change hue and shades be sure to read this:
http://www.wikihow.com/Mix-Paint-Colors-to-Make-Brown

 
Then I painted the top with AS Old Ochre, a strong crème color.
I waxed the edges on this layer to strengthen the white color for distressing later.

 
The 3rd layer was AS Provence, the same blue I painted the body of the dresser.
This layer was completely waxed and distressed all over.

 
Then came the final layer of the same brown you started with. I used a clear wax for my finished
 look. You could try a dark wax to get more depth but I wanted the blue showing through to hold
the same color as the body.
 
 
When working on something like this be brave and experiment. Try different distressing technics all
 on the same surface. Use different sand paper grits and try sanding before and after waxing. Trying
 new things is what will achieve new results. The top of your projects can always look different than
 the bottom and a nice large flat surface is the best place to practice.



 
The body of this dresser was done much simpler by painting a quick coat of AS Old Ochre,
followed by a good layer of AS Provence. Only clear waxing over the blue.


Below is a close up of some distressing done on the drawers with a light hand and a 220 grit sand
paper. Done right you get to see the light color of the Old Ochre showing through.
All my sanding is done by hand.

 

The handles I used are original but they were almost a black color. I wanted a warmed up tone so I
lightly sprayed them with a Tremclad gold hammered finish. I didnt want a solid gold either so I
washed them with some acetone so they would have an aged gold feel. Acetone is the same as your
 nail polish remover.
 
 
 
 
*********************************

Stop in to see whats new in shabby chic white hardware available at firstfinds.
 
There are over 1000 pieces of used hardware to choose from
Etsy Shop.
 


 
 
 
  
 
 

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment