fs

Monday, February 24, 2014

The Agave Color Antique Dresser Make over

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Here is my newest re-do (Im on a tear lately refinishing stuff!).
This was a nice little antique dresser I picked up from CL. I met a lady
who handles estate sales. She got this from the original owner, so it was in ok
 shape. The top was pretty messed up and it
had a lot of dings and scratches, but the drawers were in pretty
good condition for being 80 years old! 
two sided sticky tape was used to affix the mirror to the back:(
Im still working on fixing and painting the mirror part.  


Mr. Agave!


So I wanted to do an aqua-y color, but I wanted a bit of green to show through.
I just love blues and greens. So I played around with the colors and used my
new shades from Martha. 

This photo was used with a flash. You can see how the color washes out. 
 I brushed on Behrs "lilypad" before going over it with my chalk paint made from
MS "lagoon". 


The top I refinished in Varathane "Gel Walnut". This stuff is the bomb people.
Forget the Minwax. This gel stain is fabuloso!!! So easy and nice and comes out
flawless. It dried so quickly because this wood was so dried out. I used one
coat of the gel, a seal-coat, and then finished it with dark paste wax. 
The whole dresser got a coat of dark wax to tone down the color
and give it an aged look.  
I really hate the waxing process. :)




It was a cloudy afternoon. Again, the flash just kills the colors. 

I wasnt sure which hardware to go with. I tried on many different knobs.
I didnt have anything in the blue/green family except some light blue milk glass. 
It looked a bit nursery-ish and too close to the color of the paint. 

I was going to line the drawers with this fabric.  Apparently Ill have to line it with the cat as well.



 So here is a shot with a portion of the mirror done.
I still have to do the arm thingy-s that allow it to move.


The mirror by itself is actually a beautiful piece. Since the piece that was affixed to the top with
sticky tape was literally falling apart, Hub made a new one to set on the top. There is another piece
that attaches to the mirror (I dont have that in the photo)Im actually leaving that natural wood.


TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment